Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Portomarin

Somehow the film gang found us and We decided to split up the walk. Rebecca and I would head out first and sit in the line at the Hunta until it opened and register all of us. (What do they say about plans?) First off, because it was such a long walk, we decided we would go to Portomarin first and then I would walk back to pick up Phil's pack just to make it a little easier on him. Rebecca and I  made good time. so when we got to Portomarin it was only 11am, still 2 hours before the Hunta opened. I dropped my pack with hers and started back. I had thought I would only have to go back 5 kilometers since they certainly would be further than that. They were not, but I found a nice little bar, so I ordered some food and sat back and enjoyed watching the pilgrims go by. After half an hour, still no Phil and crew, so I decided to go another kilometer. What's this?, there was another bar at the other end of town too! Well met, we walked back to Portomarin together.

Portomarin used to lie at the bottom of a deep valley.  It is now half filled with water and you cross a long bridge over the reservoir. So, for every meter you walk down to the bridge, you go to put up to the town.  There is an imposing structure at the top. It is the church that used to sit in the town that the reservoir now covers. So, stone by stone, it was dismantled, hauled to the top and reconstructed. Then a new town was built around it.

Hold on, no registration! Rebecca said they needed the passports as well as the credentials we left with her. That was the bad news. Good news? Rebecca found an empty apartment we could use. It cost 100 €, but worth it. We each had a separate room, almost. And after we had figured put the hot water, we had hot showers!

No comments:

Post a Comment